Yoga in Schools is vital for childrens development.
Schools are starting to realise that yoga is becoming extremely popular all over the world and many schools within the North East of England are introducing Yoga to their children.
Yoga is taught in many schools across the UK as
- Part of the PE curriculum
- Part of PHSE curriculum
- An elective in an enrichment programme
- A lunch time or after-school club activity
- An intervention to maximise the achievement of disadvantaged students
Benefits of Yoga
- Develops strength, flexibility and stamina
- Reduces tension, stress and anxiety
- Raises self-esteem and promotes self-efficacy – Improves motivation
- Develops clarity, focus and concentration
- Creates awareness of emotional responses
- Encourages self-management of behaviour
- Promotes social, mental and emotional health
During the yoga sessions the focus is on
- Improving flexibility
- Improving coordination and balance, which also helps concentration (and consequently behaviour)
- Strengthening muscles and bones, which improves posture and breathing (and consequently learning)
- Increasing self-awareness, confidence and self-esteem
- Relaxation and calming.
Sarah suggests 30 minutes with Pre-School & Key Stage 1 pupils, 45 minutes with Key Stage 2 pupils and 45-60 minutes with Key Stages 3, 4 and 5. The classes are taught in school, as part of PE and PSHE or extra-curricular, taught by a qualified school and kids/teen yoga teacher and have further added benefits for the school including:
- Meets criteria for SEAL, PE Outcomes, Healthy Schools & Every Child Matters.
- Enriches PE and PSHE curriculum subjects.
- Can be combined with other curriculum areas, such as Literacy and RE.
- Suitable cover for PPA time.
Investment (within the North East area)
- One hour, with up to 2 classes
- Two hours, with 3-4 classes classes
- A whole day, with up to 7 classes
- After-school clubs – please enquire as price is dependant on numbers & duration
YogaPupz are willing to travel further afield to deliver Yoga in Schools, please contact us for more information if you are not within the North East of England.
We have been working with Wessington Primary School to help the Reception, Year 1,Year 2 and Year 3 students improve their health and wellbeing through Yoga and Mindfulness.
YogaPupz were invited into Forest View Primary school to help them with their ‘Healthy Lifestyles Week’ in 2016 and to help introduce yoga in schools.
Click Here to see some pictures of the Year 5 class doing some Yoga.
If you are interested in bringing a yoga session to your school then please feel free to Contact Us or email us as firstname.lastname@example.org as we would love to come join you.